Ongoing Events for Teens
- Month-Long Brownell Writing Club Challenges: Teens are invited to write a 3-5 sentence story based on a prompt. Their submission will be entered into a drawing for a $15 Phoenix gift card and may be included in an upcoming zine featuring kid and teen created art and stories.
- Dungeons & Dragons: Gather with fellow D&D players and embark on imaginary adventures. This is an open play game for new/returning players and families; a Dungeon Master serves as this role playing game's referee and storyteller. Game starts at 6 PM. Pre-generated characters will be available for players who don't have a character made yet. Recommended for 5th grade and up. This group will meet on the 2nd and 4th Friday of every month, some scheduling adjustments may be made for library closures and special events.
- Fright Night: Teens ages 13-18, come hang out, eat popcorn, and watch a horror movie!
- Art Lab: Art Lab is about process not product, so have fun and explore a variety of art materials and prompts! Participants may submit their creations for possible inclusion in an upcoming zine featuring kid and teen created art and stories. Available while supplies last. Recommended for all ages.
- Teen Advisory Group: Teens in grades 6-12 are invited to share their time and skills to make the library a better place! This will include helping with short-term projects and crafts, contributing ideas for future programs, weighing in on library decisions, and helping plan and run bigger events. Meetings will be held on the second Friday of every month, and we will be serving PIZZA! Join us and bring a friend!
- Golden Dome Book Group: Children and teens from fourth through eighth grade are invited to participate in a book club devoted to the Golden Dome Book Award. The group meets on the third Tuesday of each month (October-March), 1:30-2:30pm. Each year’s list is selected by Vermont librarians and educators and is comprised of twenty-five books. Participants are encouraged to read five of the titles on the list to be eligible for voting, which will occur at the last meeting in March. Please register to participate in the Golden Dome Book Club.
- Green Mountain Book Award Book Group: High school students in grades 9-12 are invited to participate in Vermont’s teen readers’ choice award, the Green Mountain Book Award. This group meets on the third Tuesday of each month (October-March), 1:30-2:30pm. Each year’s list is selected by Vermont librarians, educators, and teens. Participants should commit to reading three of the titles on the list to be eligible for voting. Please register to participate in the Green Mountain Book Club.
- Teen Maker Kits: Kits are available in the coldest months; pick up a kit with DIY projects for teens in grades 6-12. Available on the fourth Monday of January-March while supplies last.
Regularly scheduled programs start in October and run through mid-May; we take breaks to accommodate family vacations when the schools take breaks. Summer programs start in June and run through July or early August. Check out our Events Calendar for an up-to-date listing of programs.
Learn more about our other Teen Services.