Ongoing Events for Children
- Month Long Writing Challenges: Children are invited to write a story based on a prompt. Their submission will be entered into a drawing for a $15 Phoenix gift card and may be included in an upcoming zine featuring kid and teen created art and stories.
- Tuesday STEAM Hour: Children in grades 3-5 explore science, technology, engineering, art, and math after school. STEAM Hour includes a rotating selection of program series, with sessions that build on previously gained knowledge. Topics could include: Crazy 8s, Jewelry Making, Lego Robotics, and more. Offered every other Tuesday.
- Wednesday After School Programs: Kids looking for something to do on early release days will find a rotating selection of offerings at the library, including movies, Crafternoons, Comics Club, games and more.
- Art Lab: Art Lab is about process not product, so have fun and explore a variety of art materials and prompts! Participants may submit their creations for possible inclusion in an upcoming zine featuring kid and teen created art and stories. Available while supplies last. Recommended for all ages.
- Red Clover Group: Children from kindergarten to fourth grade are invited to participate in a book club devoted to Vermont’s picture book award, the Red Clover Book Award. The group meets on the third Tuesday of each month (October-March), 1:30-2:30pm. Each year’s list is selected by Vermont librarians and educators, it includes ten books. Participants must read all ten of the titles on the list to be eligible for voting, which will occur at the last book group meeting in March. Please register to participate in the Red Clover Book Group.
- Golden Dome Book Group: Children and teens from fourth through eighth grade are invited to participate in a book club devoted to the Golden Dome Book Award. The group meets on the third Tuesday of each month (October-March), 1:30-2:30pm. Each year’s list is selected by Vermont librarians and educators; it includes twenty-five books. Participants are encouraged to read five of the titles on the list to be eligible for voting, which will occur at the last meeting in March. Please register to participate in the Golden Dome Book Club.
- Read to Sammy: Sammy loves listening to kids read. He and his owner Kim Hathaway are a certified team with Therapy Dogs of Vermont. This program is for all ages.
- Lego Fun: Build creatively with Legos by yourself or with others. Your creations will be displayed in the library!
- Wonder Kits: Kits are available in the coldest months; pick up a kit for children in grade 1-5 to make, experiment, and explore their curiosity on the first Monday of January-March. Available while supplies last.
Regularly scheduled programs start in October and run through mid-May; we take breaks to accommodate family vacations when the schools take breaks. Summer programs start in June and run through July or early August. Check out our Events Calendar for an up-to-date listing of programs.
Learn more about our other Children's Services.